Our Story: Baby Girl – Epilogue

I lied. I said it was a four-part series, but it turns out I have one more post to write. I had planned to append this to the fourth post, but it seemed out of place, so I’m giving it a short post all its own.

Of course, as readers of this blog will realize, shortly after writing my This I Believe essay, we became pregnant with K. Although the pregnancy was fraught with peril, the outcome was all joy and no tears. At 18 weeks I was diagnosed with a placenta previa – a condition that affects 0.5% of the pregnant women and completely unrelated to my other issues (seriously, what are the chances? About this time, I was thinking, “Okay, okay, whatever I did, I’m sorry already!”). Since APS pregnancies usually result in premature babies, the addition of another complication that often results in early delivery was not encouraging. We spent the pregnancy nervously going from milestone to milestone: “let’s just get to 26 weeks”, then 28, then 32, and finally, at 36 weeks and 6 days, our little girl was born. We learned after Baby Girl that without treatment, APS pregnancies have about a 20% chance of fetal survival. By knowing enough to start injections of the anticoagulant Lovenox as soon as the pregnancy was confirmed, we were able to become part of a very different statistic: the 80% of APS pregnancies that are successful if treatment begins early in the pregnancy.

Baby Girl’s life helped to bring about K’s and completely reverse the statistics and K’s chance of survival. So thank you, Baby Girl. Mummy loves you.

For more about Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome, please visit the APS Foundation of America.

9 thoughts on “Our Story: Baby Girl – Epilogue

  1. Pingback: Holy Crap, I’ve Hit 100 « Practical Whimsy

  2. Pingback: NF? What NF? « Practical Whimsy

  3. Pingback: Our Story: Baby Girl – Part 4 « Practical Whimsy

  4. Pingback: Our Story: Baby Girl – Part 3 « Practical Whimsy

  5. Pingback: Our Story: Baby Girl – Part 2 « Practical Whimsy

  6. Pingback: Our Story: Baby Girl – Part 1 « Practical Whimsy

  7. Pingback: In Memoriam « Practical Whimsy

  8. I really do believe there is a reason for everything, and I think your baby girl really did ready the path for K. She is lucky to have a big sister like that.

  9. Thank you for sharing your intimate story. xoxo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s